Welcome to Panachallenge!
If you are already a member, Click Here to Log In.

t t rss cal
    Home   ·   Rules   ·   Mugshots   ·   Challenges   ·   Stats   ·   Forums   ·   Help Register    

converting raw to jpeg
(You MUST log in to be able to make comments in the forum.)
      Panachallenge Forum -> PanaChallenge -> Tips
       Go to Page 
 Author        Message (12 posts) Next Page >>
Peanut

12 posts

[1 of 12]  Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016, 03:24 (1218 days ago)

Hi all. I decided to be brave and use raw to take my monochrome pictures. After a struggle I have finally managed to download them and can see them on my computer. Next problem, I can't open them in gimp. Any suggestions please?

forkcandles

613 posts

[2 of 12]  Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016, 07:09 (1218 days ago)
Modified: Tue Feb 23, 2016, 07:19 (1218 days ago)

Peanut wrote:
Hi all. I decided to be brave and use raw to take my monochrome pictures. After a struggle I have finally managed to download them and can see them on my computer. Next problem, I can't open them in gimp. Any suggestions please?

well JadeO is the resident Gimp expert
alternative software which is easy to use is FastStone Image viewer and you view etc and save as either a tiff or jpeg when you have finished and its free and downloadable

PS Welcome to the world of raw good luck with the monochrome

Robbo

2 posts

[3 of 12]  Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016, 11:34 (1217 days ago)

You will need a RAW viewer... UFRAW works with GIMP. not sure where you can download from but Google should help there

Lo

540 posts

[4 of 12]  Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016, 12:15 (1216 days ago)

Hi Peanut - just a heads up with regard to RAW files. They have had nothing at all done to them, unlike Jpeg, which will have had a certain amount of sharpening etc. even before you start to post process them.

Jade O.

1064 posts

[5 of 12]  Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016, 13:30 (1216 days ago)
Modified: Wed Feb 24, 2016, 13:35 (1216 days ago)

http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/

See also:

http://howtogimp.com/raw-photos-with-gimp/

Old Finn had the same question which was addressed in the first thread in this forum which was mostly to help those new to GIMP but it is good you've put in here in a separate thread which makes it easier to find!

Hope this helps! You'll have to do a little reading though....

rd52

60 posts

[6 of 12]  Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016, 14:28 (1216 days ago)

I recommend Rawtherapee, I have used it for a long, long time. It works quite well and the price is right, FREE!. I have an older version of Photoshop that will not accept my camera's raw files, so I process with RT, save as a tiff and further process with PS. Also I sometimes use Lightzone another raw converter, that is also free.

Peanut

12 posts

[7 of 12]  Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016, 14:52 (1216 days ago)

Thanks all for that wonderful information. Will do a lot of playing today.

Mepo

1691 posts

[8 of 12]  Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2016, 19:49 (1215 days ago)
Modified: Thu Feb 25, 2016, 19:52 (1215 days ago)

Congrats on trying the RAW route. I have never regretted it. It's amazing how you can recover highlights and dark areas. Most of all the ability to adjust the white balance is unbelievable. As for exposure, in some cases I can recover 2 or 3 f stops without it being noticeable. Recently I was shooting ice sculptures at night and forced the camera to use a higher shutter speed so that I would not have any camera shake. I didn't want to go any higher with the iso as the grain would have been rough. The images were underexposed but were easy to fix in pp. This is hand-held at 400 iso f4 1/60. At f4 the lens was wide open.

It really is worth the effort to learn how to use it to advantage.

http://media.fotki.com/1_p,rrbkswrsrdrfbfqxbkdrtgqgtgkb,vi/bsgbrssfgxrsrwsbtwsxbsfsskdbq/2/1735102/10407096/Finalr9BaseCmask3steelbluequal-vi.jpg

Old Finn

242 posts

[9 of 12]  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016, 10:28 (1214 days ago)
Modified: Fri Feb 26, 2016, 10:32 (1214 days ago)

Excellent picture, suits to the Monochrome contest. How did you focus the camera? Did yo use manual settings?
Btw, I use Paint Shop Pro X8 and it has a tool for raw conversion

Mepo

1691 posts

[10 of 12]  Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2016, 17:55 (1214 days ago)

Thanks Juhani:
The autofocus worked fine even in the low light so I did not have to resort to manual focus this time. I used aperture priority and used the exposure adjustment function to give me a higher shutter speed. I'm sad that it was taken before the challenge period.

I put this in to encourage others to try RAW and reap the benefits.

Next Page >>

Panachallenge Forum -> PanaChallenge -> Tips
       Go to Page 
    Comments? Suggestions? Problems? Click here!       Disclaimer