Welcome to Panachallenge!
If you are already a member, Click Here to Log In.

t t rss cal
    Home   ·   Rules   ·   Mugshots   ·   Challenges   ·   Stats   ·   Forums   ·   Help Register    

Cropping the image in Gimp
(You MUST log in to be able to make comments in the forum.)
      Panachallenge Forum -> PanaChallenge -> Tips

Author        Message (5 posts)
Old Finn

245 posts

[1 of 5]  Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2015, 17:08 (1405 days ago)

Gimp users, can somebody tell me, how to crop the picture in Gimp using the original proportions? I tried it in Ubuntu by selecting the whole picture with cropping tool and pressed the Shift when adjusting the cropping area. The Shift did not work

forkcandles

613 posts

[2 of 5]  Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015, 16:38 (1404 days ago)

Jadeo is our residential expert on this

Jade O.

1070 posts

[3 of 5]  Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015, 11:51 (1404 days ago)
Modified by Admin: Thu Nov 19, 2015, 15:15 (1401 days ago)

Old Finn wrote:
can somebody tell me, how to crop the picture in Gimp using the original proportions?

Didn't see this until just now.

If I understand you correctly, your original image is say 3200 x 2400 pixels and you want to crop a part of the photo to be say 800 x 600 pixels (as opposed to resizing the entire image). In other words you want to keep the same aspect ratio (or use a defined aspect ratio) but just have a crop of that image rather than resizing the image.

There are many ways to do this:

a)
When you select the Crop tool, it opens a window (the settings dialog in GIMP terminology).

On the settings dialog, there is a "Fixed" checkbox. Check that, then select "Aspect Ratio" from the drop down to the right of it.

In the box below, enter your aspect ration dimensions be it 8:10 or 800x600 or what have you. Or you can use the "paper sheets" next to the box to make the selection.

b)
You can configure the rectangle select tool to be a fixed aspect ratio. Then pop up the crop tool and pick from selection. In 2.0, you use the rectangular selection tool with a constrained aspect ratio to frame your image, and then crop to the selection. In 2.2, you do not need to do this, since you may constrain cropping to a given aspect ratio.

c)
Image->Crop Image or Layer->Crop Layer which will crop to the size of the selection w/o the need to switch tools.

d)
There is another method of my own design which is a little less programmed but may give you a bit more flexibility.

In the layers dialogue (layers window) duplicate the original image, take one layer and resize it to the size you want. Then move the small layer into the position of the image you want to crop, then use the crop tool to crop the original image to size, then delete the duplicated (sizing) layer.

I don't have GIMP in front of me so I can't give you the steps right now.

You can check this out....

http://docs.gimp.org/2.2/en/gimp-tool-crop.html

Old Finn

245 posts

[4 of 5]  Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2015, 12:45 (1403 days ago)

Jade O, that helped me much. My Gimp is in Finnish, but I try to tell this in English: When I use Gimp in Ubuntu, I Choose Wndows - Docked selenting windows - Settings of the tools, then as you said, check the "Fixed".
Cheers

Jade O.

1070 posts

[5 of 5]  Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2015, 10:09 (1400 days ago)

Thanks to Admin for fixing the link. The linked page is pointing to a good GIMP resource which gives all sorts of help in a very simple fashion. You can use the forward back pages at the bottom of the webpage to scroll through the options.
Glad it helped, Old Finn.

Panachallenge Forum -> PanaChallenge -> Tips

Comments? Suggestions? Problems? Click here!       Disclaimer