Welcome to Panachallenge!
If you are already a member, Click Here to Log In.

t t rss cal
    Home   ·   Rules   ·   Mugshots   ·   Challenges   ·   Stats   ·   Forums   ·   Help Register    

Photo Software
(You MUST log in to be able to make comments in the forum.)
      Panachallenge Forum -> PanaChallenge -> Tips

Author        Message (4 posts)
Sandy910

1 post

[1 of 4]  Posted: Tue Jun 2, 2015, 21:32 (1571 days ago)

Is there a editing software out there that anybody recommends?

Zhaark

15 posts

[2 of 4]  Posted: Wed Jun 3, 2015, 02:44 (1570 days ago)

Hi Sandy,

I am still an amateur when it comes to PP, but I would suggest:
For just normal RAW editing - Lightroom 5 or newer...

If you want to edit more in depth, and with layers, and composites, and and and......
Go for CameraRAW 9 for your RAW files, this will allow you to export the edited RAW file directly into PhotoShop CS6 to do the rest of your editing.

PS: when editing, change your workspace from sRGB to ProPhotoRGB. (srgb is usually used for displaying images on the web, and have A LOT LESS colours)

Hope this helps.
Zhaark.

mrsawyer

1562 posts

[3 of 4]  Posted: Wed Jun 3, 2015, 04:47 (1570 days ago)

Sandy,

I recommend Photoshop Elements 13. Amazon is selling it with free delivery for $70. Elements has many features for the beginner and more that you can grow into as you get more serious about photo-editing. You can download a free 30-day trial from Adobe, so give it a try.

Mepo

1713 posts

[4 of 4]  Posted: Wed Jun 3, 2015, 11:21 (1570 days ago)

Sandy: I'm with Bernie. Go with Photoshop Elements. Once you get using it you will also find that many companies like Topaz Labs have add on programs which may only run on Photoshop. Since it has been the #1 seller for so long there are literally acres of hints and tutorials out there for free. Check Shopbot.com or other price comparison sites before you plunk down your money. Amazon has an excellent reputation and that is worth a bit extra too.

If you use RAW, Elements does a great job of converting your mages without needing any other software. Do read my short tutorial on the site about sharpening. Some people who use RAW never seem to realise that if you use it you have to personally sharpen your image. Jpeg images are automatically sharpened in the camera by the on board software which should make the SOOC club to think twice before they denigrate all post processing.

I have no experience with Lightroom but Zhaark produces some spectacular images so his advice has good impact.

If you want the free software route then go with GIMP and read the super tutorials that Jade has presented on the site.

Once again - welcome to the site. I think you will find lots of members who are happy to answer and problems that crop up.

Panachallenge Forum -> PanaChallenge -> Tips

Comments? Suggestions? Problems? Click here!       Disclaimer