Welcome to Panachallenge!
If you are already a member, Click Here to Log In.

t t rss cal
    Home   ·   Rules   ·   Mugshots   ·   Challenges   ·   Stats   ·   Forums   ·   Help Register    

gimp on a tablet
(You MUST log in to be able to make comments in the forum.)
      Panachallenge Forum -> PanaChallenge -> Tips

Author        Message (9 posts)
Peanut

12 posts

[1 of 9]  Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014, 06:06 (1974 days ago)

Help anyone. We are on the road in our caravan and I have purchased a Samsung tablet. I have downloaded gimp but it tells me I have to change the screen resolution. I can't seem to make it work. Has anybody else used this.

Jade O.

1070 posts

[2 of 9]  Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014, 09:23 (1974 days ago)

I hope you are not driving and using your GIMP enabled tablet at the same time (unless your caravan is a camel, of course.)

I don't know a lot about tablets but from a quick google search I expect that you have an option to scale the active area of the tablet so that it matches the screen. Your tablet likely has a 4:3 aspect ratio but if your GIMP screen is set to 16:9 then the active area on your tablet will start at the top-left corner and scale to match the larger 16:9 format so that the bottom active area on the tablet will not be usable.

From the GIMP forum:

For starters, check your settings, ie. what are your current settings at?:

In your operating system, try if you can:
<Control Panel> <All Control Pannel Items><Display><Screen Resolution>
or in GIMP
<Edit><Peferences><Display><Calibrate>

and let me know if any of that helped.

If your issue is how to use a pen to draw select etc., I'm guessing that you'll need to google around to learn about Wacom and you'll probably find that your stylus has two ends. Use the eraser end to select the eraser tool in GIMP and it will act as the eraser. Use the drawing end to select a drawing tool and it will act that way. The neat part is that the two ends of the stylus will be active at the same time - it is like having two mouse pointers active simultaneously - so you can draw and erase continuously without having to select different alternating tool functions in between.

Also you can enable the tablet's pressure sensitivity. Under GIMP choose <Edit><Preferences><Input Devices><Configure Extended Input Devices>. Select the tablet and set the mode from Disabled to Screen. This turns the pen into a pressure sensitive device; more pressure equals darker line or whatever.

Now to set up GIMP so that it functions properly with a stylus on your tablet, you might try reading through this:

www.gimptalk.com/index.php?/topic/17755-install-guide-wacom-drawing-tablets-with-gimp/
http://emptyeasel.com/2008/09/19/a-quick-start-guide-to-using-digital-drawing-tablets-in-gimp/

If no one else can help, you may try asking your question on a tech Q&A forum like:

www.fixya.com/

Unfortunately, your description of the problem is a little short on details so I'm unsure whether you have GIMP up and running or not.

Peanut

12 posts

[3 of 9]  Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014, 22:27 (1973 days ago)

Thank you for replying so quick. My problem is. I have downloaded gimp from the play store and when I open it up it is all very small. It does give me a lot of numbers to resize it but I have tried a couple of these and they don't seem to work.

Jade O.

1070 posts

[4 of 9]  Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2014, 07:35 (1973 days ago)

O.k. Assuming that GIMP is otherwise running normally, just occupying too small an area on your table screen, try opening GIMP, and hit the following:

In the menu bar, select <Edit>
That should pull down the drop down menu.

Select <Preferences>
That should open up a new window called Preferences.

Select <Theme> and change from <Default> to <Small> by clicking on the Small line and then click on the <OK> button at the bottom of the window.

If that doesn't help then try <Edit><Preferences> again.

In the Preferences window select <Image Windows> and under "Zoom & Resize Behaviour" select <Fit to Window> if it is showing 1:1 or something else, then click <Ok> at the bottom of the Preferences window.

Then in the same Preferences window Select <Display>

Try clicking on the <Calibrate> button and see if that works.

If not you can try entering the Monitor Resolution manually and see if that helps.

Write down the initial settings you changed in case you have to change things back.

Let me know if any of that worked.

Peanut

12 posts

[5 of 9]  Posted: Mon May 5, 2014, 06:52 (1964 days ago)

Okay. I am now on the road and I have got Gimp to look like gimp but it won't let me open any photos to work on. I can't find a way to make them smaller either. I am getting very frustrated. I have tried a couple of other apps but not very successfully. Any suggestions for a different approach.

Jade O.

1070 posts

[6 of 9]  Posted: Thu May 8, 2014, 13:39 (1961 days ago)
Modified: Thu May 8, 2014, 18:27 (1960 days ago)

Peanut,

When you say Gimp won't let you open any photos I assume you know how to Open photos normally on a desktop version of GIMP. But just to be sure, see my Tutorial on this forum which is right at the top of the list of forum posts in the Tips section:

Tutorial for Gimp - Layers and Selective Parts of Processing
http://www.panachallenge.com/forum/forum_topic.php?id=399

That Tutorial will also show you how to reduce or zoom the size of the image displayed inside GIMP to allow you to see what you are working on, without changing the actual size in kilobytes or megabytes of the stored image, or you can resize the image entirely.

See my GIMP tutorial on loading and resizing an image:

Resize an entry - GIMP
www.panachallenge.com/forum/forum_topic.php?id=138

Peanut

12 posts

[7 of 9]  Posted: Fri May 9, 2014, 02:20 (1960 days ago)

Hi Jade
With your tutorials I have been happily using gimp on my laptop. While traveling this is not an option and I am using the tablet. I assume there are settings I need to change and I have had some success but it tells me gimp has a lot of problems. I have now resorted to some other apps that allow me to do some basic adjustments. Will keep plugging away with those. Once again thank you for all your help

wenhou

1 post

[8 of 9]  Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019, 00:04 (10 days ago)

I'm using a XP-Pen Deco Pro Art Tablet for my drawings in GIMP, and it works pretty well. GIMP support pressure sensitivity.

I have one of the buttons on the side set to the E key, for Eraser, and another set to B for Brush. Then the two buttons on the side of the stylus to Brush Size Up and Down. It works well .

mrsawyer

1562 posts

[9 of 9]  Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019, 23:50 (2 days, 16 hours ago)

wenhou wrote:
I'm using a XP-Pen Deco Pro Art Tablet for my drawings in GIMP, and it works pretty well. GIMP support pressure sensitivity.

I have one of the buttons on the side set to the E key, for Eraser, and another set to B for Brush. Then the two buttons on the side of the stylus to Brush Size Up and Down. It works well .

wenhou, appreciate you chiming in on this. Hope to see some of your photos soon.

Panachallenge Forum -> PanaChallenge -> Tips

Comments? Suggestions? Problems? Click here!       Disclaimer