Welcome to Panachallenge!
If you are already a member, Click Here to Log In.

t t rss cal
    Home   ·   Rules   ·   Mugshots   ·   Challenges   ·   Stats   ·   Forums   ·   Help Register    

#139 Portrait Orientation Outtakes
(You MUST log in to be able to make comments in the forum.)
      Panachallenge Forum -> PanaChallenge -> Challenge Talk
       Go to Page 
 Author        << Previous Page Message (27 posts) Next Page >>
Mepo

1815 posts

[11 of 27]  Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2014, 21:37 (2594 days ago)

Old Finn - Love the outtakes, especially the man.
John - Prefer your entries.
Jade - I'm glad you distorted the fruit. I think the dog's pose is the problem not the mask - sorry.
Roland B. - Thanks for the comparison, amazing improvement. The trees along the road would be my next choice.
Old Finn - I think B&W was the right choice
kemosabe - I would prefer not to have the tower in the centre.
ysal - B&W was the wise choice I agree.
Lo - the power is back, you can get your files now.

For those of you who didn't hear about our problem:

We had a power outage this morning and my PC, laptop,TV, DVD, BlackBerry, Playbook,iPad & my new surround sound music system were all shut down.

Then I discovered that my iPhone battery was flat and to top it off it was snowing outside, so I couldn't play golf.

I went into the kitchen to make coffee and then I remembered that this also needs power, so I talked with my wife for a few hours.

She seems like a nice person.

Lo

674 posts

[12 of 27]  Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014, 11:36 (2593 days ago)
Modified: Wed Mar 12, 2014, 14:31 (2593 days ago)

You can't be married for 39 years without a good sense of humour!

For Bernie - the original conversion from RAW for the stone sculpture:

http://images51.fotki.com/v278/photos/2/1735102/10407096/photo2-vi.jpg

Ysal - the colour version is beautiful too - but you're right, the B&W had more impact.

mrsawyer

1699 posts

[13 of 27]  Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014, 11:07 (2592 days ago)

Old Finn - I like the clarity and expression in your 1st outtake. I like it more than your main entry. The 2nd outtake is a bit soft for my taste, though I like the expression you caught. I like both the color and b/w versions of Liisa, though the color version does need a little processing.

johncomyn - I like all your outtakes. I think the third one is even better than your main entry. I particularly like the textures in the foreground.

Jade O. - Your open entry was more interesting than your fruit outtake. The lighting seems too dull in the outtake. As for the doggy outtake, it needs more light on the nose (probably due to the vignette).

RolandB - You really brought out a lot of detail from your original photo to create your entry. I like all your outtakes, especially the trees. I think the photo you entered was the best choice, though.

kemosabe - Thanks for sharing your "almost entry". Not sure what you could have done with this one to increase interest in the subject though.

Lo - Thanks for sharing your original. That building in the background is amazing. I thought you'd processed it too much, but I see it is simply has incredible textures and colors! Great eye! Also, thanks for sharing the link from Elliot. It was rather interesting.

ysal - The brightness of the sky distracts the eye from the stones in your outtake. Perhaps you could have desaturated and darkened the sky as an alternative to making the whole photo b/w. Just a thought! If you have time, give it try and see what you think.

Mepo

1815 posts

[14 of 27]  Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014, 17:03 (2592 days ago)

There seemed to be some interest in the bokeh in Adirondack Gal's entry of the Chillee Chickadee. I asked her to give me the original and the pp'd one used for the entry. I then cropped out the centre part and put them side by side for comparison. The artifacts in the bokeh don't seem to have changed much. My guess is that is her lens causing the problem and that will be exacerbated by the f stop used and the direction of the light. Any other comments/suggestions are welcome.

http://images60.fotki.com/v361/photos/2/1735102/10407096/photo1-vi.jpg

Jade O.

1142 posts

[15 of 27]  Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014, 18:21 (2592 days ago)
Modified: Fri Mar 14, 2014, 13:02 (2591 days ago)

Mepo wrote:
Any other comments/suggestions are welcome.

O.k. How about this one...

"Just before they went into warp, I beamed the whole kit and kaboodle into their engine room, where they'll be no tribble at all."

Or did you mean just in relation to Adirondack Gal's photo?

O.k. I see my humour is having no effect at all.

Seriously, I think the answer may be found here:

m43photo.blogspot.ca/2011/08/bokeh-part-1.html
m43photo.blogspot.ca/2013/09/bokeh-part-2.html

I'm really not a technofile and more a point and shoot snapshotter. My knowledge of basic photographic principles is not good and my technical knowledge of equipment is even worse.

But I'd guess it is the lens which is giving the lousy background blur (bokeh), not camera shake, or anything like that. It may be the wrong f-stop was a contributing factor.

Mepo

1815 posts

[16 of 27]  Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014, 11:10 (2591 days ago)

O.k. I see my humour is having no effect at all.

Jade you have no right to complain since you completely disregarded the wonderful humour in my previous post about LO

Your 1st link does not work for me - page not found
The 2nd link is good - AGal's photo and the comment from John raised my whole awareness of the quality of bokeh and the role your lens and f stop can play. In your link I found it interesting that the cheaper lens produced the better bokeh probably because the more expensive lenses were making much more compact lenses. Although these are good from a sales point of view their compactness appears to affect their overall quality in some areas. All good news since I can't afford the expensive ones anyway

Jade O.

1142 posts

[17 of 27]  Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014, 13:11 (2591 days ago)
Modified: Fri Mar 14, 2014, 13:12 (2591 days ago)

Mepo wrote:
Jade you have no right to complain since you completely disregarded the wonderful humour in my previous post about LO

Oh, that was humour.

I've met your wife. Really, she is a nice person. You should spend more time with her...

Hopefully fixed the 1st link now.

And don't forget....
Man: I think it was, "Blessed are the cheesemakers"!
Gregory's wife: What's so special about the cheesemakers?
Gregory: Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally. It refers to any manufacturer of dairy products.

Lo

674 posts

[18 of 27]  Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014, 14:31 (2591 days ago)

Jade - I'm flummoxed - who is Gregory and what is his connection with cheese? and why do I keep thinking of the Monty Python sketch?

Jade O.

1142 posts

[19 of 27]  Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014, 15:12 (2591 days ago)

Lo wrote:
Jade - I'm flummoxed - who is Gregory and what is his connection with cheese? and why do I keep thinking of the Monty Python sketch?

I think you will recall Gregory was there with Mr. and Mrs. Big Nose....

MAN #2: You hear that? Blessed are the Greek.

GREGORY: The Greek?

MAN #2: Mmm. Well, apparently, he's going to inherit the earth.

GREGORY: Did anyone catch his name?

MRS. BIG NOSE: You're not going to thump anybody.

MR. BIG NOSE: I'll thump him if he calls me 'Big Nose' again.

MR. CHEEKY: Oh, shut up, Big Nose.

MR. BIG NOSE: Ah! All right. I warned you. I really will slug you so hard--

MRS. BIG NOSE: Oh, it's the meek! Blessed are the meek! Oh, that's nice, isn't it? I'm glad they're getting something, 'cause they have a hell of a time.

Mepo

1815 posts

[20 of 27]  Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2014, 17:52 (2591 days ago)

Jade: Good retort. You are unusually sharp for this time on a Friday .

1st link is also a good one. Thanks.

p.s. You only THINK you've met my wife.

<< Previous Page Next Page >>

Panachallenge Forum -> PanaChallenge -> Challenge Talk
       Go to Page 
    Comments? Suggestions? Problems? Click here!       Disclaimer