Welcome to Panachallenge!
If you are already a member, Click Here to Log In.

t t rss cal
    Home   ·   Rules   ·   Mugshots   ·   Challenges   ·   Stats   ·   Forums   ·   Help Register    

Art imitates Life (and Panachallenge entries!)
(You MUST log in to be able to make comments in the forum.)
      Panachallenge Forum -> PanaChallenge -> Challenge Talk
       Go to Page 
 Author        Message (24 posts) Next Page >>
Jade O.

1120 posts

[1 of 24]  Posted: Fri Sep 3, 2010, 23:02 (3738 days ago)

Ever notice how some entries call to mind famous works of art, both paintings and photographs? Often strikingly similar in subject or theme, I am most impressed by compositional similarities.

I thought it might be fun to compare some side by side. Feel free to add to this thread from time to time.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c6/Rob-One/post6.jpg

Lo

645 posts

[2 of 24]  Posted: Sun Sep 5, 2010, 21:10 (3736 days ago)

Thanks Jade, for putting my photo in such good company! I think your idea is great - It will be fun to see the similarities that we can find between photo and art. When I was working on the cow photo for the challenge, I was reminded of the opening lines from Grey's Elegy - "The curfew tolls the knell of parting day, The lowing herd winds slowly o'er the lea..."

boar76

30 posts

[3 of 24]  Posted: Tue Sep 7, 2010, 17:04 (3734 days ago)

Dear friends i think it's almost common to be inspired by famous or pleasent forms of art
(including photography).The important thing is not to speculate or draw income.
In Panachallenge the prize for the winner is the chance to choose the subject for the next challenge...I think nobody can take offense...

P.S. We've became skilled in copying...The current subject and the next one are identical
even in DPreview!!!!!....:-))))))))...Now we have to credit!:-DDD
...This extrawork is dangerous for my brain!
Bye Bye

Jade O.

1120 posts

[4 of 24]  Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2012, 22:20 (3078 days ago)

Well, it has been a while so a couple more for comparison...

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c6/Rob-One/two1.jpg

Mepo

1787 posts

[5 of 24]  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012, 10:59 (3076 days ago)
Modified: Tue Jun 26, 2012, 11:04 (3076 days ago)

Well Jade - you've certainly got me thinking. I will have to see what I can find.

I was taught to copy the great masters and others. We used to go to a gallery and spend most of the day copying the art on the walls and sometimes the sculptures too. Later our teacher would explain the techniques and would help us understand why we were attracted to certain pieces. He would also point out what we had missed in our efforts which was probably the most valuable part of the whole exercise.

I'm still trying to use some of the techniques. I especially like artists who use the light so well - Rembrandt springs to mind. When I first saw the original of the Night Watch I was nearly in shock at its impact. I'd seen reproductions but had never realized that the original filled a whole wall - it's huge - and the light seems to work even better. I guess in this case size really does matter :-}

You know we really need a flashing button or something on the main page to alert members that there is a new entry in the forums.

Jade O.

1120 posts

[6 of 24]  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012, 19:56 (3076 days ago)
Modified: Tue Jun 26, 2012, 19:58 (3076 days ago)

Michael, I think we are all impacted by art though we sometimes are not cognizant of it. I am greatly impressed by the approach brought by contemporary Canadian artists like Alex Colville and Christopher Pratt to name just two and find my photos influenced by them. I would not, I think, have decided to try photography with subjects looking away from the camera or each other, or headless, as I did in my last Main entry, in Challenge #116, without the confidence that others had taken that approach to greater effect.
See for example, http://www.tendreams.org/colville.htm
To my surprise, that is not entirely new, click on <Home>, the <click here> in red, and see under Romanticism, the art of Caspar David Friedrich.
Also works by Christopher Pratt, like, Boys Dipping Caplin, Woman at a Dresser, not to mention, Four Boats, and his other many boat images, which inspired my open entry in the Nautical Challenge #112, though I only later realized the image in my mind which I sought out was so evocative, for me, of Pratt's boats.
I've too seen the Night Watch but as impressive as it is, it was the smaller works by Van Meer which really captivated me and there, like in so much of photography, it is, as you note, all about the light.

Mepo

1787 posts

[7 of 24]  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012, 20:45 (3076 days ago)

Jade - Completely agree on the impact. Loved the link - I'm going to spend more time on it later, I noticed a few good square format examples. Not sure which examples you were referencing. Do you mean Charles Van Meer?

I believe like many things, our reaction to a particular painting for example, is influenced by other factors that we may not be aware of at the time. When I saw the Night Watch I was not hung over from the previous evening LOL. Seriously, we had one display at a Trade Show where they had three cinemas set up. 1st was exellent, leading edge video with mono sound, 2nd was with slightly downgraded video with stereo and the 3rd was further downgraded video with the latest wrap around sound. #3 was voted as the best picture.

Jade O.

1120 posts

[8 of 24]  Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012, 22:47 (2986 days ago)

Another one which struck me from Challenge #119. I did a little conversion and could play a little more to get that silver sheen but I think the idea is there.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c6/Rob-One/__margaretbourke-white2.jpg

Mepo

1787 posts

[9 of 24]  Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012, 06:32 (2986 days ago)

Good find! And congrats to Ambaker for his version.

Lo

645 posts

[10 of 24]  Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012, 21:58 (2984 days ago)

I haven't been back on this forum for some time, and was delighted by what you have added - you have an uncanny ability to see art reflected in real life - or vice versa. I am constantly amazed by the breadth of knowledge that you possess.
      Next Page >>

Panachallenge Forum -> PanaChallenge -> Challenge Talk
       Go to Page 
    Comments? Suggestions? Problems? Click here!       Disclaimer